Thursday, May 29, 2008

Day 24: Reef, West Loch Roag

Today's been a day of rest that was well needed after yesterday.

I only woke up at 12am when the sun woke me from being too hot. I finished writing the journal entry from yesterday because I fell alseep while writing it last night. After that I got up, rinsed my salty clothes using the tap at the nearby campsite, hung them up, had breakfast (bread + jam) and drank some water.

I needed to get some more emergency food after eating it all yesterday so I wondered into Valtos to find a shop. Unluckily there was none but luckily I went to say hello to Alison/Paul who told me where the nearest shop was and lent me a bike. I cycled there and splashed out - a bag of assorted caramels and two dairy milks emergency food and a can of tango which was great! (I disposed of it in the nearby recycling skip.) Then cycled back to Valtos, picking up some mussels on the way back, where Alison/Paul invited me in for a cup of tea.

We chatted for a few hours then went for a barbecue on the beach where we had potatoes, mussels, scallops, Halumi cheese (sheep's cheese), skewers with vegetables and chocolate cake. I didn't eat many potatoes, so they'll do for lunch and dinner tomrrow. We said our goodbyes and went our separate ways, neither more than 1km, mine less than 100m to my bivvy.

So I'm lying here in the dunes writing this having just watched an awesome sunset over the hills. I just heard the forecast on the VHF - NE4/5, 6 in the north - not good at all! I doubt I'll either make it or attempt to make it to the Carloway tomorrow.

1 comment:

johnthebarman said...

Such good stories make me envious and wish I could do it but you'll have to give me more coaching first
Well done and a good read!
Thanks for letting us know by phone this morning that you plan Carloway tonight and the Butt of Lewis on Saturday.
Take care!