Thursday, May 15, 2008

Day 7: Blue Lagoon to Loch Ayenort (16Nm, 6hrs)

Another good day - the longest yet. It has been a day that I could not have predicted. I am now of all places, in luxury accommodation – an Otter Hide - it has four walls, a door, a roof, and even a window! The events of today that led up to this were...


I was up at 7.30am for an early start to the long day ahead. I wanted to see how long it took me to get ready, for future reference. It came in a cool total of 2hrs 15mins, including collecting heather, starting a fire and cooking breakfast.

So yesterday I set off on what was to be the longest distance I've paddled yet. It was the second bit of virgin water that I had paddled on the trip, the first being round Berneray/Mingulay, only this time I wouldn't be home for three weeks. It was quite refreshing to be paddling a coastline that I hadn't paddled before, with new things to look at, though I knew that time was tight and that I had to get on. After a nice lunch spot just south of Loch Boisdale, and avoiding the CalMac ferry, I eventually made it to Loch Ayenort around 4.30pm.

When I got ashore I thought I would take advantage of the houses and ask for some water before trying to find a campsite. I got chatting to a guy called Archie, who offered me water, eggs, mussels from the shore below his house, and use of his phone, which I used to check-in with the Coastguard and arrange food pick ups. After some bartering, we arranged for me to do some peat cutting in return for dinner which I thought was a pretty good deal. Archie is going fishing tomorrow in his sailing boat and after yesterday's failed attempts, I'm keen to go along and see how it's done!

Today's food was: breakfast - hard boiled egg, Stornoway black pudding; lunch - bread, jam; dinner - home made soup, scallops fried in butter, oatmeal and cream, and mushroom risotto; and a cup of tea! Wow, creature comforts are great when you haven't had them for a while!


Since the expedition started, I've been noticing an increase in my general levels - maybe because my bodies getting used to the exercise! Also the skin on my hands has turned to leather!

Reflection on today: I was touched by Archie's friendliness, and what I'd like to think is a kind of Hebridean generosity and hospitality. He also offered to let me sleep in the Otter Hide that he built on the shore, which was a warm welcome change from under a tarp.

No comments: