Thursday, May 15, 2008

Day 10: (Morning after…) Loch Ayenort to Roisinis (20Nm, 7hrs 30mins)

I’m lying on top of my bivvy bag in the morning sun, listening to the wind up radio. It’s a program about a play on the selfishness that is almost forced upon people in a capitalist economy. I would have written last night but I was too tired after the long day.

Yesterday was my longest paddle ever, both by distance and time (20Nm, 7.5hrs) and was my latest arrival of the expedition so far (7.30pm). The day started in the Otter hide. I got up, found breakfast in the boat (sea gull and hens eggs and Stornoway black pudding), cooked it on the camp fire, then went up to get some water from Archie’s tap and say a last good bye. One and a half hours later I left, after a cup of tea, bit of cake and an in depth look at the weather forecast on the internet.

So I was off on what would be my longest day so far. I set off at 11.45am – I wanted to be away at 10.30am. The tide was now ebbing, which means its flowing south in the Minch and would be against me all the way.

To cut a long paddle short, it was amazing. I watched a sea eagle patrolling the coast, watching me, being pestered by the gulls and oyster catchers. I saw my second lighthouse of the trip on Uisinish point, made a 6Nm open crossing, ate my emergency mars bar, worked on my forward paddling (constantly), paddled into one of the best caves I’ve ever been in, had to navigate using a compass and map for the first time on the expedition to find my way through all the skerries and inlets to find the right one, and eventually arrived at Roisinis point at 7.30pm. I wanted to use the emergency stove but instead went to collect firewood and heather, peeled potatoes, packed my lithe full of chives/wild garlic/dried ham, cooked it up, and had a few spoonfuls of jam for pudding.

I now feel pretty connected with nature and a bit disconnected with civilisation and the rat race – both good things I think – not that there is much of a rat race in Barra, or at least not from my point of view. Maybe there is for other people, but not many I don’t think – Barra’s too relaxed a place for anyone to be in a race other than the Craigard or the Castlebay Bar.

Today’s food: sea gull + hens eggs, Stornoway black pudding; mars bar; lithe stuffed with wild garlic + chives and potatoes; jam.


No comments: