Friday, May 02, 2008

Lots to do

The pressure has been on for the past few weeks to prepare for the expedition. I’m a bit behind where I’d like to be. A few days ago I managed to:

  • Fit a fibreglass keel line to my boat and also an extra layer of epoxy for abrasion resistance, thanks for the helpful advice from the UKRGB Sea forum
  • Wire up the solar panel/voltage regulator/battery/inverter
  • Fit it all in my boat, with help from RNLI beach balls which hold the equipment inside in place!

KEEL LINE BEFORE

KEEL LINE AFTER

Describe the keel line stuff.

SOLAR PANEL SET UP OUTSIDE

SOLAR PANEL SET UP ON BOAT

Today I packed my boat, and it all fits in, not including food that is, which will be some potatoes, and some locally grown meat and vegetables.

Also did a few press interviews. It’s amazing the phenomena of news spreading! It’s probably down to the John Muir Trust who sent out their press release to lots of places. I don’t think the media would have been as interested without he JMT, not to say it isn’t worthy. It was brilliant having all the positive media support, compared to initial scepticism about the idea on forums.

I’ll write again with an update on the days activities, which will include:

  • Reinforcing the solar panel fixing;
  • Confirming dates for contacting media;
  • Packing food in boat;
  • Updating website.

No comments: