Thursday, May 29, 2008

Day 19: Berneray to Husinish, Harris

Today has definitely been one of the best days of the expeditions - that's not saying much though because it's all been fantastic.

I was up at 7.30, woken by a flapping tarp which had come off my wooden peg. I had an easy start, packing my stuff away in my routine method at a relaxed pace, then went to the hostel to make breafast - porridge with jam. After saying goodbye to the travellers I had met, I carried on packing. I've got a happy routine system now: food and sleeping stuff in front; all emergency stuff including hot flask of coffee in the dat hatch, and everything else in the back hatch (clothes, electric stuff, paper/books.)

It was the windiest day so far today, at around F4/5 sometimes 6 east or southeast. I had the right maps out and planned the trip assuming 4kph into a F5, working with the tide in the Sound of Harris, and then it was off. It took a while to get across the Sound but once I got to the channel between Harris/Ensay the tide was taking me NW, great!

I rounded Toe Head and found some amazing caves where I had to make a precarious emergency toilet stop. The inlet with a beach I had planned to stop for lunch on unfortunately had boulders before the sand so I couldn't easily stop witout dragging my boat over rocks which I decided against, instead opting for a balancing act on submersed stones which resulted in my losing four slices of bread, and eating lasnight's pork off the bone and eating tonight's pudding - chocolate cake. Then the longest crossing so far, roughly 10Nm from Toe Head to Husinish, with Taransay on my right side. It was great paddling in a new place with new things to look at. I was seriously starting to wonder if I'd lost my passion for exploring and this totally refreshed my enthusiasm for it!

So I got to the N beach, set up camp - the best tarp set up yet, with a sand shelf for more height - phoned STV, helped people packing their boat for Scarp, cooked on MSR because there was no firewood. Now I'm lying here under the tarp, lovely night again. Expedition life is harder than a 'conventional' life but simpler.

Food today: breakfast - 2 portions of porridge with jam; lunch - pork + chocolate cake; potatoes and dried ham; 2 oranges from the Scarp people (David + Lesley), and a mug of coffee.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

the sitdokumaes are really beatiful