Thursday, May 29, 2008

Day 20: Husinish, North Harris

I say this every day, but again today has just been great, a slow start but great all the same. I'm sure other people might people might think this was boring, but I like it, here's why...

I woke up at 8am and wondered around for a while coming up with a plan of what to do today. A few things were on the list: find firewood + heather; find food; phone people like my folks, the coastguard, and the media to let them know I'm still alive and how it's going; find water. So I tried to start on my list of essential activities. I couldn't cook breakfast before finding firewood, but I was still weak from paddling, so I ended up falling asleep for an hour. After waking up again at 10am(ish) I went to search for wood and eventually found a palette - fantastic, I could have a fire tonight. I also tried to find a mobile signal up a hill but there was none. So after chopping the firewood and making a fireplace, I had a quick chat with a local guy who pointed me in the right direction, which ended up being a 45min walk along the road to the watershed where I could see the mobile phone mast to the east. So I made my calls and on the way back collected some dead heather and a wee bit of peat. Spea to friends/family was nice and I'm starting to look forward to coming getting home.

When I got back to camp I had to have another sleep, which I also did on the road back. I don't know if it's too hot or because I hadn't had enough food, or because I was still shattered from yesterday's paddle.

After I woke up I got cooking dinner, which tonight for lack of finding or catching anything was potatoes, a few spoonfulls of jam for pudding, and dried mint tea.

So now I'm sitting infront of the fire, drying my wellies, it's another nice night! I tidied the campsite and am looking forward to setting off again tomorrow. I've got loads of thoughts about the expedition, about what's possible and what isn't, about life and how we could/should life and the costs/benefits of different ways, but I'll save writing them till the end!

Food today: breakfast - bread + jam; lunch - hard boiled eggs + white pudding; dinner - potatoes.

No comments: