Thursday, May 15, 2008

Day 5: Castlebay to Gighay (Blue Lagoon) (6Nm, 3hrs)

Today’s been another good day on the whole with its ups and downs. Trying to leave home this morning took ages because I had loads to do, including putting a Sustainable Expeditions sticker on the side of the boat. It seemed to take forever to get ready and I longed to get on the water in my kayak, where life is simpler.

So eventually I got on the water at 1.30pm after getting up at 6.30am to get ready! I was a wee bit stiff, but after my muscles had warmed up a wee bit it was fine – I could enjoy the paddling as usual. The weather has been fantastic – I think that’s the reason that my experiences have been so positive so far. It the weather was crap I’d probably be in a bad mood and thinking about quitting the trip by now. Anyway, it’s not, so I’ll carry on. I paddled along thee coast on a NE bearing which took me straight to the blue lagoon, after 3 hours of paddling. I feel happy going out to sea now – before I was a bit nervous about leaving the coastline.

Weather forecasts just came on the VHF from Stornoway Coastguard – that makes it 10.10pm – NE F3-4. No good for paddling up the Western Isles, but tomorrow is a hunter gatherer day so it’s ok.

I tried a bit of fishing with mackerel feathers on the way into the lagoon – no joy. I then had a look for mussels – also no joy. I chose my campsite for wood. I chose my campsite for the highest probability of driftwood. No protein in dinner, but it was probably the best dinner yet – potatoes with spinach, flavoured with chives and luvvage. Also, used half and half sea water/fresh water, which seemed to work fine – tatties were tasty. Then rhubarb sweetened with honey, all cooked on an open fire.

All building my level of challenge slowly, loving it so far!

No comments: