Thursday, May 15, 2008

Day 10: Roisinis to Carinish, RTN (12Nm, 4hrs)

I'm lying in my bivvy bag at the end of another good day. I'm lacking inspiration to write - maybe a few swigs of whisky will help - yup, that's better...

Today was a day of rest. I used the MSR petrol stove, to save effort of collecting heather, to cook porridge with jam. I enjoyed the porridge more than I ever have before, enjoying the change from concentrated protein breakfasts of eggs and blackpudding. After breakfast I went for a wash in the nearby loch and took the opportunity to wash some clothes too. It was unbelievable refreshing, after I'd got over the shock, splash my face, rub myself down with sphagnum moss and go for a swim.


After some sunbathing I made a shopping list and set off for a day trip to the shops to restock. It was a longer paddle than I had thought, however I was working with the tide, so that was nice. I got to Carinish Inn to have a pint and hopefully find some local producers. I didn't find the latter, but the pint was great - a nice cold Tenant’s Lager! After chatting to people I got a list to the nearest shop, got some locally produced food (bread, jam, oatmeal) and walked back to the boat.

A pleasant paddle back in the sun followed. The weather was just fantastic! I got back at 6pm and started preparing dinner: cleaning mussels; peeling potatoes; and collecting heather + firewood. Tonight's dinner was the most decadent yet - venison + mussels, potatoes, with golden syrup cake (baked in the UK), although I ate the cake first! It was all really nice, but I'm longing for fresh fruit and vegetables!

I'm happy that I've now caught up with daily writing and video diary entries. Pretty tired...

No comments: