Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Day 25: Reef, NW West Lewis

Today was undoubtedly the worst day, so I’ll make this write up short and not so sweet.

I woke up with my neck in agony and could hardly move it. I had slept without any kind of pillow and who knows what I did to my neck but it was sore! That was today’s first lesson. This was about 9am, so I thought I’d wait to see how it went. I ended up in bed till 12pm(ish) then it started raining, soaking my stuff that was hanging on the improvised washing line - tow rope tied to either end of kayak with split paddles making support on middle. I also felt sick and was sick nearby my camp after trying desperately to keep whatever it was down. Up came last night’s barbecued vegetables which I thought should have been digested by now, so I thought maybe a dodgy mussel had blocked up the plumbing. Whatever it was, and I’m sure it was the mussels that I had taken from the inlet with not a huge amount of flow, next to the road, I felt sick for the rest of the day. This in combination with a stiff neck and the rain made it pretty miserable.

So I eventually went up to knock on Paul and Alison’s door to ask if I could use their bath as I’d got cold after getting wet in the rain. Thankfully they said yes, and also offered me dinner and a bed for the night, which made life a lot more comfortable than it would have been. Thank you Paul and Alison!

Food today: breakfast/lunch - bread and jam; dinner - pasta and vegetables.

No comments: