Monday, August 03, 2009

A Week on the Edge: D0 (Stirling to) Barra to North Uist via Glasgow airport

The first few days I didn't keep a journal and, writing this 2 months after, I'm struggling to remember the details. But I'll try what I can, without putting in any boring details. No need to mention the train journey from Stirling to Glasgow – trains are trains. However, people come from all over the world to do the Glasgow-Barra flight, so it's worth a mention. The weather was fine – in the Aberdonian sense, as in fine is good. It was a sunny day. I love the flight on a good day because you see so many iconic parts of Scotland: Glasgow; the Clyde; Arran; most of Argyll and Bute; Islay, Jura, Scarba; the famous Grey Dogs tidal race (the Corryvreckan Whirlpool's more gentle wee brother); the bridge over the Atlantic; Mull and Iona; Ardnamurchan point; Coll and Tiree; Canna, Rum, Eigg and Muck; and 1 hour later, as if saving the best till last, Barra. Sometimes if you're lucky the pilot goes the scenic route, coming up through from the most southerly islands Berneray (Barra Head) and Mingulay – the view of the cliffs on Barra Head and Mingulay is amazing!

After landing on the beach and getting my bag and waiting for my dad to finish work as the security guard I had to get home and sort all the kayaking stuff and be on a ferry to Eriskay 3 hours later. After inflating the new Handirack (roof rack that fits on any car with 4 opening windows – or can be made to fit on a 2 opening window car if you use the boot) - great value at £55ish for a roof rack that'll fit almost any car – collecting all the paddling and saying a quick hello to the folks I was on the ferry with my mum driving to Berneray ready to get the ferry across the Sound of Harris the next morning. Stayed in North Uist Outdoor Centre, and handy wee stop just outside Lochmaddy.

No comments: