Tuesday, August 04, 2009

SusExp 2009 Day 1: Barra to White Wave Outdoor Centre

So, as you know, up at 5.30am this morning – it’s been a long but productive day. Managed to do everything that needed done to the website this morning so I can do justice to my sponsors and make it clear for people looking at the site. Also picked lots of nice veg [insert veggy photo here] and collected some other stuff from house – home made bread and jam.

Finally managed to make to ferry which left at 9.20am - it was so busy!! It was the aftermath after Barrafest, so many people heading home after an alcohol fuelled weekend of fun – it could have been me too! But no, I choose to expose myself the rigours of the outdoor life voluntarily! The crossing was fine, maybe a wee bit choppy going into a force 4 to 5, but nothing the Clansman couldn’t handle. Had another few chats with old and new friends, ate, slept, read and the next thing you know I’m walking off the ferry in Oban.

Met Sam in Oban, got the boat tied on, went to get the kit, from outside edge, that we hadn’t got already (epoxy putting and a head torch) and a few tools from the pound shop for the repair kit soon to materialise…then off we drove on what was now starting to feel like the start of the expedition.

To cut a long story short…here I sit in my sleeping bag in White Wave Outdoor Centre, thanks to John and Anne, trying to be proactive in keeping up a blog. The journey up was fine, we got some food shopping and a meal in Fort William and came up the Skye Bridge way as opposed to getting the ferry (too much hassle). Crossing the bridge felt like another milestone – it really felt like something that I’d wanted to happen for a long time was finally happening, I’m pretty excited, although also apprehensive about how our luck will play it’s part in the trip and what nature will throw at us.

On that note, I’m off to try and get 40 winks…

1 comment:

johnthebarman said...

Good to hear from you son.