Saturday, January 26, 2008

Plannning and Risk Assessment

Planning and Risk Assessment

I’ve been thinking about decision making in relation to kayaking. Trying to figure out, if I have a group, what questions I should ask myself about the situation, and what order I should do things in. I like having rules for approaching things because it makes that approach simpler. I was also thinking about the minimum things that I would want to know about a group and a trip that we were going to do, and then other things beyond the minimum that I’d like to know. What I’ve come up with is this:

For any kayaking session, the first thing I want to know is my group’s experience. From that, the second thing that we will do is come up with a plan for what we’re going to do, i.e. goals. The third thing that follows on is a risk assessment for that plan or those goals. These three things are all already defined for things that are completely standard, however for other things (for example expeditions), they change here and there, so we have to adapt and be flexible. I like to categorise them in to generic (things that could happen anywhere) and specific (which are the varying components of the risk assessment).

I then thought that pretty much all our activity, whether it’s kayaking, or sitting at a computer, has goals that we want to achieve, whether that’s typing a letter, or watching the sun go down. And a risk assessment can be done for any of those goals. In my formal risk assessment, I write preventative and reactive action, in relation to a risk.

So, to cut a long story short, after formalising the process in my head, I now feel like I can approach any situation, automatically carrying out a risk assessment, and dynamically assessing the risk as the situation flows.

Looking forward to a bit of surf kayaking this weekend, as the F9 gale blowing outside whips up some swell…

No comments: