Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Sustainable Expeditions training

The first real part of training for the expedition in May started a few days ago. I got a new magnesium striker for Christmas, so decided to start trying to light fires with various forms of tinder, including wood shavings, cotton wool, and toilet roll - all of which worked to varying degrees. I wanted to build up the difficulty slowly, so first attempts where in a big shed, then I moved outside - the result of which is below...



It was greatly satisfying getting a fire going using the magnesium striker, but did take a few attemps - hopefully things'll get better! The structure for the fire was learned from a mate who went on a survival course. The triangular wedge structure allows fuel to be stacked into the centre of the fire, and the clear access to the centre of the fire allows convection caused by the heat to suck fresh air right into the centre of the fire.

There are so many more things to learn and try out, like:

  • What other things I can use to light the fire;
  • Cooking with a grill;
  • How to make and oven;
  • Sea kayak fishing;
  • and many more.

I'm looking forward to trying them all out and writing about what I find out. All comments appreciated!

1 comment:

COBBER said...

Hello,

I use myself a Stratus Trailstove in my Kayak.
I also have a bolo/little kitchen machette with me.
So you can use driftwood etc. and make it into smaller pieces.

open fire will take more energy, while the trailstove is concentrating the heat.
Happy paddling