Friday, January 04, 2008

Surf's Up - Wow, So Much Fun!

Ok, so the SusExp (www.sustainableexpedtions.org)
training continues - preparing for big surf landings! I won't be doing it it a surf boat, but it's so addictive. I love surf boats, so fast, so motile, so...hard to roll (outside of the wave)! Surfing yesterday in a 5-6ish ft swell, F6/7 offshore wind, just off the west coast of Barra (Halaman Bay).
The first wave pocket caught up with me. I think I manage to surf out of it, but can't remember exactly what happened because there was so much going on.



Last wave of the day...I was starting to get tired, windswept, and was losing the heat from my body faster than you can say drinking chocolate! The funny thing was that the wind was so strong, the spray after the wave was almost worse having a swim!
Enough...time to go home. All in all a great day. Ended up breaking a fin, but it was worth it. When I can resist the temptation of a surf boat, I'll be find the biggest surf and taking a sea kayak into it. Watch this space. I'm off to look at other kayakers blogs for inspiration. Happy Paddling...
P.S. Sorry about the seemingly jumbled up layout of this - I'm not exactly sure how blogger.com works, but hopefully it'll get better.

No comments: