Monday, October 02, 2006

28/29 September 06: (The train to) Mallaig


I am camping in Mallaig, on the shore next to the car park, next to the train station. Today has been a long day. 9am I realised my train (from Edinburgh to Glasgow) was at 11.30am, and I still had a days worth of stuff to do. 11.30am, I manage to just get everything done in time, but miss the 11.30am train, so have to get the 11.45. I think all is well, so start repacking all my stuff more sensibly and securely (I am using Simons' (my sister Rachels' other half) bike trailer). A fantastic idea: I use my belt to secure the bouncing bags. After a chat with my seated neighour about our different walks of life, I step off the train, dragging my stuff behind me. I walked over to the display to check the train time, as I watched a train drive off. Shock horror...it was my train to Mallaig! Despair.

To cut a long story short, after 6 hours I was still in Glasgow waiting for the next train at 6.20pm, which I boarded in happiness. I was tired at first because I knew I hadn't had enough sleep. But I soon found stimulation in trying to catch the eye of the prettiest girl on the train (tall, slim, brunette, pretty, cute, etc...) who was facing me, a few seats down. Together with reading the paper, this entertained me for the whole journey. Shame it was dark - the scenery would have been fantastic. By the end of the journey (or at least her part), we were making eye contact more and more, practically starting into each others eyes. It had been a while since I done this with a girl. The tension was rising - I wanted to go and speak to her, but I couldn't find the guts - I was too afraid! In the end, she got off the train without us exchanging number/words, and I will probably never see her again. Maybe next time I will speak to that girl sitting opposite me on the train.

Which brings me closer to the present. I got off at Mallaig, asked the driver if he knew any campsites. So here I am, behind the wall, next to the car park, next to the train station, in my sleeping bag, on my Thermarest. I just cooked some beans (see photo) and am tired.

The reason I am here is to do my 4 star sea kayak training and assessment with Gordon Brown who owns and runs Skyak Adventures with his wife Morag in Isleornsay, Sleat Point, South Skye. I need to sleep as I am up early.

Night...

No comments: