Friday, April 25, 2008

Working 9 till 5 (2) vs. Expedition Planning! (1)

Planning this expedition sounds great, learning about what I can and can't eat off the land, practicing self rescues, and lighting fires - great fun! That's what I'd like to be doing, but trying to balance planning and expedition with everyday life including a 9 till 5 job is difficult, especially when I still feel like I don't know enough about what I can eat on the shores/land.

I'll be honest - this expedition is going to be a steep learning curve! I haven't had either as much time for research/planning or as much practice of doing stuff as I wanted. But hey, I'd always say that anyway...I know I'm pretty experienced at living in the outdoors, and I'm a not bad kayaker, so it's just there'll be more learning. I'm guessing I'll have a pretty steep learning curve with:

  • what I can and can't eat that I will find throughout the Western Isles;
  • how and when to catch fish;
  • how difficult it is to light a fire from a spark and some tinder/kindling;
  • what it's like to be on my own on expedition for 3(sh) weeks;
  • how exposed the west coasts of Lewis/Harris are (worse/more fun than Barra?).
So back to work. Today I'll finish the big feasibility study that I've been written for Barra and Vatersay, which looks at all the renewable and alternative energy and waste reduction, reuse and recycling things that could on on the islands. A day of work, then off for a paddle...

Whatever happens, next week will be full on planning and then next Saturday (May 3rd) I'm off to Mingulay. The two things I'm most looking are: camping on and paddling round Mingulay, and paddling up the west coast of Harris and Lewis! Can't wait!

No comments: